How to Choose the Perfect Wedding Cake For Your Raleigh Wedding
It is no secret that wedding cake is one of the most important components of your wedding reception. With so many delicious options to choose from, it can be hard to pick just one. Luckily, this guide will walk you step by step through the process of choosing a wedding cake for your Raleigh wedding:
Begin with the end in mind. Before you begin your search for the perfect wedding cake, it is always a good idea to know where you intend to hold your reception. In many cases, your venue may influence the details you choose for your cake. For example, a cake frosted with a rich buttercream frosting would not be the best choice for a hot outdoor summer wedding. Knowing exactly where you intend to host your reception can help you determine what type of cake to have.
1. Choose the right baker. As soon as you have secured a location, you can begin looking around for a Raleigh area baker. While word of mouth is one of the most popular methods of finding a baker, going to a wedding expo or bridal event is another avenue. At these events, couples typically have an opportunity to chat with local bakers and sample some of their offerings without having to schedule a private consultation.
2. Do your research. Once you have found a few bakers that you are interested in, take some time to review their social media profiles. As with any creative craft, bakers typically post pictures of their designs on social media. Even better, look for pictures from actual weddings that they have designed cakes for. This will help you get a better idea of what type of cakes they specialize in. After you’ve reviewed an ample amount of photos, be sure to read reviews and testimonials before reaching out to schedule a meeting.
3. Choose your style. Some bakers are going to offer a wider variety of designs than others. For example, some bakers may specialize in creative fondant cakes while others may specialize in designing rustic cakes. Some bakers may specifically work with certain types of ingredients such as buttercream or cream cheese frosting. The bakers at Once in a Blue Moon Bakery are one example, specializing in all things buttercream. They can create many different looks using only buttercream frosting. Other bakers may not frost their cakes at all. As you are reviewing pictures, make sure you take note of any particular design that speaks to you. If you can’t decide, the dedicated team over at Pastry Works has worked with countless brides just like yourself. Specializing in hand-painted cakes, they can help walk you through your options and find something that matches your unique tastes.
4. Set up a meeting. By this point, you should have whittled your list down to just two or three bakers. This is when you are ready to start scheduling private meetings to sample different types of cakes. Before you can begin to decide what type of cake you want, you will need to discuss details like wedding date, headcount and venue with the baker. Once you have a headcount, the experts over at Cakes by Chloe can work with you to identify what type of cake works best for your event.
5. Know your budget. One of the biggest mistakes brides make when looking for a wedding cake is not already having a firm budget in mind. If you go into the meeting with all of your numbers ready, it allows the baker to help make suggestions based on what you can afford. This allows you to get the style you want without going over budget.
6. Explore potential costs. In addition to knowing what you can afford, you will also need a basic understanding of what each option should costs. The overall cost of a cake is determined by two primary factors: the required number of servings and the complexity of the design you request. For example, since sugar flowers are hand-crafted, they tend to be much more expensive (and time-consuming) than other options. Don’t worry, if you find a style or design that you absolutely love, a good baker should be able to find a way to work something similar into your budget. For example, they could use real flowers rather than hand-designing the sugar flower accents.
7. Be adventurous. During the tasting stage, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try some new flavors or fillings. Your wedding cake should be just as unique as you are as a couple. Rather than focusing on what the guests will like, bakers like Love Cake can work with you to make sure you choose flavors that you can both be happy with.
8. Think outside the box. While a simple white wedding cake might be enough for some brides, keep in mind the multitude of style and design options open to you. If you are looking for a wedding cake that really goes above and beyond the traditional cakes you’ve seen before, Edible Art Bakery & Dessert Cafe can help you put together something that is sure to wow your friends and guests on your special day.
When it comes to choosing a cake for your Triangle-area wedding. There is no shortage of options to choose from. Follow these 8 simple steps and you are sure to find the perfect cake for your special day.